Featured Post

WHAT I LEARNED THIS WEEK!

This week I have learned about poetry,flash fiction,and many authors like Gary Paulsen, GordOn Korman,and Sam Hay .I’ve also learned about c...

Friday, June 21, 2019

Lighting World by Ginna Molitor

In a world where everything is made up of light. The trees, flowers, houses, even the people. Now take a second, sit back, and imagine if that was our world. 

“Cynthia! It’s time for dinner!” my Aunt Tammy called out from the other side of the apartment. 
“...Coming” I somewhat angirly called out. 
I was not hungry but I knew my aunt loved to cook, and she was good at it to! I sat down at the table and awaited for my dish. 
“Okay folks, for a starter we’ve got a lovely Avocado salad with a light basil dressing” my Aunt said in a light and airy tone.
I didn’t even like salad but this looked amazing and I couldn’t wait to eat. After eating the salad my aunt brought out the main course. 
“For the main course we have got a cheese and pepper lasagne” 
Once again it looked so amazing and I was suddenly as hungry as a hippo. And dessert, the last course was of course, always my favorite. 
“And for dessert we’ve got a light and fluffy strawberry and lime cheesecake”
Cheesecake...my favorite thing in the world. The sweetness of the fruit or toppings, softness, smoothness and somewhat savoriness of the cheese and the crunchy, sweetness of the crust. What’s not to love?

After dinner I went out to explore. My aunt had to go work a late shift at her work so I could basically do whatever I choose to do. I grabbed my black, rusty bike and went down the streets of Queenken. After a while it had gotten quite dark and I was about to head on back when I noticed a dark alleyway. It didn’t look sketchy it just looked extremely dark. The lights were off and the street looked wet. I was trying to turn my bike around but it had gotten stuck on a rock. All of a sudden I heard a very loud “boom” and    the sound of rain started pouring down. I had never seen rain before. I only knew what it sounded like from movies. I didn’t know what to do as the storm got bigger, the rain got heavier and the sirens got louder. I ran inside one of the buildings in the alleyway and hid. From what I saw it was an old abandoned warehouse. The walls were grey and the paint was peeling off. It then occurred to me. 
“Our world is made out of light and light only. Natures light, nothing else” my mother had told me before she went to war. 
“If it’s made out of light what is going to happen to our wor-” I suddenly got cut off by a strike of lightning hitting a...control panel?
The panel set on fire and all of a sudden the whole area around me dimmed black. I was very confused on what was happening. My whole life the world had always been bright and sunny, everyone used to be happy. Now it was dark and gloomy. 

I got over the state of mind I was in and went exploring in the warehouse. I found so many cool and unique things. A rusty Iphone 8, a 1970’s computer, and the thing I’m most proud of, a blackberry flip phone. As I kept exploring I found more and more stuff but I won’t get into that stuff. As I kept going down the dusty halls I found a dark room. It looked like it was quite new. I crept around and looked the droors up and down. The buttons on the metal slabs reminded me fondly of the doctors office. I pressed a big yellow button two times after exploring for a few hours. Once I pressed the button the light of the world quickly turned on and then off. I quickly realized what was happening. My whole life was a lie. The world wasn’t made out of light. It was controlled by electronics. 
“Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh” The thoughts were running through my head like they were in a marathon. They definitely won. 

As my tennis shoes hit the ground I ran faster and faster. I found the closest News station and before stepping in the door
“Young lady I’m gonna need to stop you right there,” said the man in the black tux.
    “Sir I really have to get going here. I have a story for the news”
    “I’m sorry ma’am I can’t let you pas-” 
Suddenly the man was on the ground. I didn’t know why. I hadn’t hit him that hard…
As I walked into the news filming room one of the News reporters looked at me
    “How did you get in here hon?” She said in a sweet voice
    “Well I actually need to show you guys something…”
    “And what is this “Something” you want to show us?” A co-worker of hers said “Is it about the light going out?” He said looking excited
    “It’s good that you asked, because, yes it is!” I exclaimed
    “Oh thank god!” The woman reporter yelled “We’ve been looking for stories about that all day long!” 
    “Well it’s not really a story...it’s more of a, uhm, situation”
As we all walked over to the warehouse it was still very dark out and the News Reporters had brought their whole camera crew. I had never really been on camera before and I didn’t really want to be. As we stepped into the room dark clouds of dust, which you couldn’t even see because there was no light, puffed up into the air and you could smell it. I was so glad I didn’t have any allergies to dust…

    I showed them everything I had seen and somehow, they believed me. 
“I think she’s right! Completely spot on!” said one of the filmers. The way he had said it made me think he was sarcastic but the giant grin on his face made me think otherwise. I kept thinking I was wrong. Maybe I didn’t want this to be the truth? That sounds like a me thing to do. As I was overthinking someone else ran into the room
“Order from the court! Get out! Get out!” a tiny woman yelled pointing to the exit of the warehouse. Her clothes looked brand new and her hair looked exceptionally soft and shiny. 
“Married to a lawyer” I thought in my head. 
As I was thinking, the little lady pressed the yellow button I had pushed just a few hours ago. The light suddenly turned back on, all of the light. The trees were no longer withered, the flowers were standing up tall and the fish were swimming again. 
    “Now go home. Everyone!”
As I rode my bike home everyone seemed to have forgotten about everything. Everyone was back to smiling, which by the way, ew smiling is weird. I mean you're just curving your mouth in a way that makes you seem “happy”, but anyways that’s off topic. 
As I rode my bike home I heard someone say 
    “What happened to the darkness!?” they exclaimed
I got no view of who they were or what they looked like but they sounded like a little boy. He sounded fine so I didn’t worry about it too much. 

I was finally home. It was getting even darker out then before I had left now and  as I wandered into the apartment and grouchy walked up the stairs I found my bed. It had been a long night and I didn’t feel like brushing my teeth or washing my face so I climbed into my bed, pulled my blue covers over my now exhausted body and fell asleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment